Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 04, 2021 9:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 6 meter to 10 meter transverter
PostPosted: Jul Thu 01, 2021 4:16 pm 

I figured this would be the best place to ask this because its something that can be used with vintage equipment and my questions can get the best exposure. If it belongs elsewhere, please move it.

I'm looking to get the ability to operate 6 meter SSB. There is a guy from Ukraine that has been selling transverters online, built and from kits, and I have 2 questions if you have one.

Are you happy with the performance?
If you live in the US, how much did you pay in Customs fees?

Post subject: Re: 6 meter to 10 meter transverter
PostPosted: Jul Thu 01, 2021 4:31 pm 

My first serious foray on 6 meters was with a Ten Tec 1208 transverter that I built from a kit. It used 20 meters as the IF instead of 10 meters. I used it with my Kenwood TS-450S and it worked extremely well.

There are other 6m transverters and transceivers on the market, and lots of used ones as well, and for the most part, performance goes with the price.

This doesn't answer your question, but keep your other options open until you decide what best fits your needs and budget...

73..Jordan VE6ZT

PostPosted: Jul Thu 01, 2021 7:05 pm 

I'm cheap so the Ukrainian unit is very appealing. I wouldn't mind building the receive converter myself like I've done with some SW or CB to BCB radio converters I've made before. But I'm not keen on building the transmitter portion.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 01, 2021 7:23 pm 

You didn't define the actual vendor, but I did find one from the Ukraine.
The construction of the transverter board is mostly surface mount. You should have some previous experience soldering this type of stuff. Then maybe you need a box to put it in and a power supply.
What do you plan to drive it with? Too much power and you may need to get the attenuator kit.

Also need a decent 6 meter beam (at least 3 elements) and up as high as possible and rotatable.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 02, 2021 12:39 am 

I didn't want to say the actual vendor or website. That might be considered an ad and get my post removed.
By kit I meant the boards are populated with parts. I would have to mount and wire the boards to the connectors, lights and switches. It includes the attenuator board and the case. Around $55. Hard to beat that price. But if real high customs fee and shipping add another 30 or 40 bucks it becomes less desirable. Thats why I'm trying to find out ahead of time.

It took a few years during a good sunspot cycle but I managed to work 49 states on 6 meter FM with 25 watts and a homebrew vertical dipole. After 30 years I think I'm going to change things around on my tower. I might retire the dipole and build a new one or go to horizontal. After taking down my 2m and 440 beams I don't think I'm going back to any more beams.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 02, 2021 4:46 pm 

They are made and marketed by the Transverter Store on eBay and on his website.

They get mixed reviews... they work, but second harmonics may not meet FCC spec as is, and they rely on a non adjustable xtal osc. canned module. Expect several kHz of uncorrectable error, and some temperature drift, esp. on the higher VHF bands. IMD performance requires careful setting of the MOSFET bias.

I'd be more inclined to investigate the Ten Tec transverters mentioned earlier.. better documentation and probably better circuitry... BUT I would avoid them if they use obsolete RF PA modules!!

I'm thinking about finding a 62S1 along with a KWM-2. I like the vintage tube stuff, especially since my QTH is far from being a stellar VHF LOS location!!

PostPosted: Jul Fri 02, 2021 5:25 pm 

At that price level there wouldn't be any customs duty for USA buyers.

http://www.wb6nvh.com

PostPosted: Jul Fri 02, 2021 6:45 pm 

That sounds like good news. I assumed there would be a charge because something I wanted to buy from the U.K. for 25 bucks was going to cost me a Customs fee according to the seller. So I ended up not buying the item. When I researched Customs fees online it wasn't easy finding straightforward answers but the gist I got was I would be paying them on almost anything at any price level.

edit: I just did a google search and I find 2m to 6m and 20m to 6m TenTec transverters but nothing for 10 to 6m. I read a post from 2015 that said the finals they used are obsolete and the NTE replacements are pricey.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 07, 2021 7:04 pm 

Another interesting question to ponder is - What will the 10 meter driver transceiver be? I recently connected an old 6 meter xvtr I built maybe 20 or so years ago to a TS-930s that has no final stage - great for a xvtr front-end. the 930 puts out about 100mw from the xvtr port, which turned out to be too much drive for my 6 meter xvtr. Some transceivers don't have a transverter port, and no way to kill the final stage, so you have to dump a whole bunch of power. If you drive the transverter with too much power, but still not enough to cook it, they they'll distort badly. Also, if you don't have a well regulated power supply for the transverter, they you stand a pretty good chance of pulling the mixer crystal frequency on voice peeks and cause the output to FM.

arnie - W1GCI

PostPosted: Jul Wed 07, 2021 11:27 pm 

I planned on driving it with a Realistic HTX-10 low power mobile rig. The transverter I have in mind comes with an attenuator board. I forgot what power level the box whats to see.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 22, 2021 10:09 pm 

On the Ten-Tec 1208 6m transverter, I have one, as yet unused (by me, anyway; I got it from a friend). The driver transistor is a 2SC1970 and the PA transistors are a pair of 2SC1971s. Mitsubishi NPN BJTs. I'm working on a 20m SSB homebrew transceiver to go with it.

On the Transverters-Store 6m transverter, I have one of those boards as well. It is a work in progress to go with my RadioShack HTX-100. I noticed today on their website that they have an upgraded board for their 2m-to-10m series transverters that has a TCXO for the LO.

Ted, KX4OM