Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 09, 2021 12:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Serious question; why grease changer mechanism?
PostPosted: Aug Sat 28, 2021 1:16 am 

Time and time again we have to degrease and relube vintage record changers and turntables. Other than constantly rotating parts like motors and idlers and turntable shafts, why was grease applied everywhere? The parts are in no danger of binding up and levers and cycling gears are not used enough to wear out. In my opinion if no grease was used in the first place that will get hard like glue in 40 or 50 years the units would still be working just fine! I just serviced a Technics turntable that is full of nylon parts that were greased to death and it took hours to get the grease off that was glue! Nylon doesn't need lubing! Ok, off my soap box.

Post subject: Re: Serious question; why grease changer mechanism?
PostPosted: Aug Sat 28, 2021 1:44 am 

I've wondered about that myself, constantly rotating parts or sliding pats with a long travel sure, they need lubrication, but small levers and cogs that only operate during the cycle maybe not.

I would think that to wear one out you would have to use it 40 hours per week every day.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 29, 2021 8:25 am 

Two reasons; smoothness of operation and reduction of mechanical noise.
Years ago I put a Dual and a Garrard changer back together with no lubrication just for the heck of it. They worked fine but were jerky and quite mechanically noisy.
Rick

PostPosted: Aug Sun 29, 2021 2:55 pm 

That does make sense. On the other hand I can't imagine my old jukebox changing records without all the clanky clicking noise it makes! It's part of the "aura" of juke boxes but on a home or studio turntable no noise is more desirable!

PostPosted: Sep Fri 03, 2021 7:47 pm 

Yes, please...Less noise means more music...

Record changers' service manuals are very particular about where the oil and grease goes. Today, the "right" choice of grease is questionable. While white, lithium grease is common, it does dry out over time. Perhaps, a better choice would be "full synthetic" grease, as it will not age nearly as quickly. Also, some users of synthetic grease report even smoother operation, compared with conventional grease.

I have also wondered what the old "Houghton Sta-Put" 320 and 512 represented, in terms of viscosity or slipperiness with now available greases...

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 1:41 am 

I have an Admiral changer that uses grease specifically to increase friction.
The manual says so.
It really won't work without the right viscosity grease.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 1:58 am 

Most VM and BSR typical changer mechanisms will be fine with a little Vaseline after thoroughly cleaning. When the drive gear is stuck on the shaft use a heat gun to get it off. Sometimes the platter is stuck solid because of no good for nothing special grease and the platter is plastic so a heat gun cannot be used. In this case I have a a small pencil iron that fits perfectly in the hole where the spindle is and after about 5 minutes it comes off. I know what you mean I hate that phonolube. It might to some be necessary but it makes it almost impossible to take apart a stuck together changer.