Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 03, 2021 4:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: What cable TV box to use?
PostPosted: Aug Tue 31, 2021 4:35 am 

Not an antique question, but still hoping for an answer.
The old cable TV set top box that I owned went bad, so I had to rent a new one from Rogers Communications (Canada.)
The rental cost is exorbitant so I want to buy a unit and send back the rental. Rogers does not sell equipment anymore.
What type/make/model do I need?
The input must be cable (coax), the output HDMI to the TV (also RCA audio to my sound system.)
Most of the "TV boxes" sold on-line seem to be for off-air antenna to TV (I don't want that) and specifically exclude cable.
So, is there a box on the market that does cable to HDMI?
Thanks for all replies.
Cheers,
Roger

Post subject: Re: What cable TV box to use?
PostPosted: Aug Tue 31, 2021 7:26 am 

engineer wrote:
The old cable TV set top box that I owned went bad, so I had to rent a new one from Rogers Communications (Canada.)
The rental cost is exorbitant so I want to buy a unit and send back the rental. Rogers does not sell equipment anymore.
What type/make/model do I need?

You've got the answer right there, Roger Dodger; Just use Google to search "sale" for the make and model of the rental.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 31, 2021 3:52 pm 

I don't know about all cable companies, but where I am there's Comcast. Only their boxes will work on their system. I've never come across anyone who has owned their cable box.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 31, 2021 5:27 pm 

Even if you find the same make and model box and purchase it, most cable companies now scramble all channels and can, by remote control, allow watching of some or all of the channels that you purchase. In other words, you need to check with the cable company and see if any customer owned box will be supported. You also have to be careful because many that you will see on certain places are stolen and they will certainly not work.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 31, 2021 10:25 pm 

^ Jim's advice is excellent.
Your best bet, as he said, is to contact your cable company and explore if a non-provided box would work. Then perhaps get a guarantee from whoever you buy one from, that if it doesn't work, you get to return if for a full refund.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 01, 2021 12:50 am 

A lot of cable channels can be streamed cheaper than cable costs...if you have highspeed internet a Roku or similar and set it up right you could just ditch cable.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 01, 2021 1:51 am 

I would suggest also OTA. Except, unlike the US where a broadcast muxes multiple services, in Canada it is one program per channel, period.

Like many industries in Canada, the cable and satellite business fraternity have good friends in Ottawa that see it their way.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 01, 2021 9:58 am 

Hi Roger.I'm in bc using Shaw and I have no problem with used Shaw cable boxes I have purchased or been given to me.some boxes are too old and no longer work.you have to phone your cable supplier and give them numbers on the box to enable them. Not sure if your cable company works the same as Shaw however. RonL

PostPosted: Sep Thu 02, 2021 6:33 pm 

Have you considered Shaw Satellite ? It used to be called Starchoice. Just a thought,... it works very well, and the employee's are a lot friendlier than Rogers will ever be.
Tony

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 1:31 am 

I've given in! My impression is that cable is an obsolete technology and Rogers are phasing it out by increasingly bad service.
So, we've just signed up for Rogers "Ignite" (Internet everything!) All cable boxes change, including home phone and Internet (wi-fi.) My self-owned cable boxes will be trashed or given away (AFAIK, no useful parts!) Rented Rogers cable box, wi-fi and home phone to be returned to Rogers (prepaid label.)
We shall see...
Thanks for all the comments.
Stay well...
Cheers,
Roger
PS Don't you just hate the cable companies and, in Canada, the CRTC that is supposed to regulate them but behaves like an industry lobby.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 11:44 pm 

The plot thickens...
Rogers "Ignite" Internet TV is set up and working... for the TV, but NOT for my home theatre!
There's no analog audio out (RCA pair) from the Wi-Fi box for the TV to feed my analog stereo amplifier. Also no RCA or optical audio output from the TV for an adapter to RCA audio.
On Amazon I think I've found a box that breaks an analog stereo output from a pass-through HDMI digital signal... still looking into this.
Does anyone know the best model/brand of these boxes?
Cheers,
Roger

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 12:39 am 

My view HD HDMI matrix (4 input 2 output) box has optical audio and analog stereo (via 1/8" stereo headphone/line out Jack)...I got it off Amazon.

I bought it partially to remove the HDCP so my HDML Cloner Box (device that records the video from HDMI onto a USB thumb drive like a VCR) can record off of cable.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 4:17 am 

Just get one of these and use only the audio outputs. I think I got it on Amazon a few years ago.

Attachments:
WIN_20210910_20_12_53_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210910_20_12_53_Pro.jpg [ 452.71 KiB | Viewed 712 times ]
WIN_20210910_20_13_04_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210910_20_13_04_Pro.jpg [ 445.75 KiB | Viewed 712 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 11:35 pm 

engineer wrote:
The plot thickens...
On Amazon I think I've found a box that breaks an analog stereo output from a pass-through HDMI digital signal... still looking into this.
Just ordered this from Amazon...
https://www.amazon.ca/LinkS-SPDIF-Extra ... 181&sr=8-3
We shall see!
Cheers,
Roger
PS. I just tried an HDMI pass-through box from Canada Computers (CC). The HDMI goes through (although there is an irritating fixed logo on the screen!), but there is no audio! Actually, there is very faint audio plus a lot of distorted hum. Fortunately, I have a return/refund option... returned to CC today... awaiting Amazon box with some trepidation!

PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 10:38 pm 

engineer wrote:
engineer wrote:
... awaiting Amazon box with some trepidation!
It just arrived. Plug and play... IT WORKS!
Thinking of buying a second unit for the other TV/home theatre...
Cheers,
Roger
EDIT Second unit ordered from Amazon... delivered today, amazingly short delivery time - this one also working fine. It looks like I got the last one in the supplier's inventory. When I ordered the first one he had five in stock... on this order it showed just one.
The only downside... made in China. I could not find a similar American or European product.