Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Tue 30, 2021 1:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Reproduction Antenna Repair
PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 12:39 am 

I have one of those reproduction radios from, probably, the late 90s. Just hooked it back up after a while. When I did, I noticed that the single wire antenna is half gone. It looks as though someone grabbed it and stripped half of it off. Is there any way to repair it and add some more wire to it ? Or maybe add on an FM loop antenna or something ?

Post subject: Re: Reproduction Antenna Repair
PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 2:04 am 

Spottedfeather wrote:
I have one of those reproduction radios from, probably, the late 90s. Just hooked it back up after a while. When I did, I noticed that the single wire antenna is half gone. It looks as though someone grabbed it and stripped half of it off. Is there any way to repair it and add some more wire to it ? Or maybe add on an FM loop antenna or something ?
First, welcome to the forums.

There are a lot of reproduction radios, so I have no idea what reproduction radio you might be referring to (manufacturer, model). I am also not familiar with what it is you are referring to as a "single wire antenna" let alone it being "half gone."

So, to be able to provide any useful assistance it would be necessary to see what you are talking about because your description is not communicating what it is that you are seeing (at least not to me). Feel free to post pictures and possibly pictures with indications on the them of the area of concern.

There are potentially a number of ways of addressing your concern once it is understood exactly what the concern actually is.

I am sorry I could not be more helpful.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 5:21 am 

Post a scan of the front of the radio. I have two different ones, and at least one of them has that single dangling wire. If yours is the same, I can measure it, and you can simply replace or add onto yours, for the proper length.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 6:54 am 

You can post photos as attachments straight out of the chute. No need to wait 24Hrs.
Posting photos to a forum thread.
https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewto ... 2&t=365653
cartoon→ https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewto ... 6#p3346966

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 3:43 pm 

fifties wrote:
Post a scan of the front of the radio. I have two different ones, and at least one of them has that single dangling wire. If yours is the same, I can measure it, and you can simply replace or add onto yours, for the proper length.

I would, but I don't have anything that takes pictures. Thanks, though. I'll try to take a picture later. The only thing I can think of that takes pictures is my kindle...but the quality isn't that great. But I'll try.

Last edited by Spottedfeather on Sep Sat 04, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 4:01 pm 

Eickerman wrote:
Spottedfeather wrote:
First, welcome to the forums.

There are a lot of reproduction radios, so I have no idea what reproduction radio you might be referring to (manufacturer, model). I am also not familiar with what it is you are referring to as a "single wire antenna" let alone it being "half gone."

So, to be able to provide any useful assistance it would be necessary to see what you are talking about because your description is not communicating what it is that you are seeing (at least not to me). Feel free to post pictures and possibly pictures with indications on the them of the area of concern.

There are potentially a number of ways of addressing your concern once it is understood exactly what the concern actually is.

I am sorry I could not be more helpful.

Curtis Eickerman

There's no company name on the radio that I can see. But a single wire antenna is just what it sounds like...a length of wire that hangs from the back of the radio.

Originally, the wire was maybe two feet long. But when I was hooking the radio back up, I noticed that it looks like the wire was caught in something and was pulled, stripping about half of the wire away....leaving a kind of splayed end to it.

I found this...
https://techrotten.com/improve-fm-signa ... e-antenna/

YEARS ago, I had a stereo that had a single wire antenna, too. You connected the wire to the back of the stereo and then stuck the wire to the wall. My surround sound also has this same type of antenna, connected to the receiver with a plug, whereas the radio antenna I'm trying to figure out is connected directly to the radio. I found a picture that kind of resembles what I'm talking about.

Attachments:
File comment: You can see what I'm talking about near the white plug...
Clipboard01sseeuynhn.jpg
Clipboard01sseeuynhn.jpg [ 70.81 KiB | Viewed 967 times ]
File comment: This is like what my receiver has.
71Xrk25mDYL._AC_SL1423_.jpg
71Xrk25mDYL._AC_SL1423_.jpg [ 526.64 KiB | Viewed 964 times ]

Last edited by Spottedfeather on Sep Sat 04, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 4:07 pm 

fifties wrote:

How would I go about getting the proper gauge of wire ? It seems pretty thin and I don't know how to measure it. How would I add wire to what's already there ?

Last edited by Spottedfeather on Sep Sat 04, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 4:18 pm 

The wire antenna for FM is generally 31" long to the point where it is connected to the input of the radio. Some sets use a small sleeve or capacitor to couple the same wire to the AM portion of the radio. Still others use a third wire in the power cord or a coupling sleeve to the power cord for FM pickup. GL Chas

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 4:24 pm 

Chas wrote:
The wire antenna for FM is generally 31" long to the point where it is connected to the input of the radio. Some sets use a small sleeve or capacitor to couple the same wire to the AM portion of the radio. Still others use a third wire in the power cord or a coupling sleeve to the power cord for FM pickup. GL Chas

How would I measure the gauge of the wire and add a section to it to make it longer...if that's possible to do....or better yet...connect the wire to an antenna ? Something like the little loop antennas that sometimes come with home theater receivers.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 9:04 pm 

Spottedfeather wrote:
fifties wrote:
Post a scan of the front of the radio.

I would, but I don't have anything that takes pictures..

What's wrong with using your cell phone?

Spottedfeather wrote:
Originally, the wire was maybe two feet long. But when I was hooking the radio back up, I noticed that it looks like the wire was caught in something and was pulled, stripping about half of the wire away....leaving a kind of splayed end to it.

OK, we are not talking lab or medical grade equipment here, and the absolute length and gauge of the wire can have a wide latitude.

Cut the splayed part off, strip the wire down a half inch, and then twist and solder any stranded small diameter wire length -that makes a total of two feet- onto it, and try FM reception. You can always cut it down in small lengths of a few inches if you want to experiment and maximize performance.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 9:13 pm 

fifties wrote:
Spottedfeather wrote:
fifties wrote:
Post a scan of the front of the radio.

I would, but I don't have anything that takes pictures..

What's wrong with using your cell phone?

Spottedfeather wrote:

OK, we are not talking lab or medical grade equipment here, and the absolute length and gauge of the wire can have a wide latitude.

Cut the splayed part off, strip the wire down a half inch, and then twist and solder any stranded small diameter wire length -that makes a total of two feet- onto it, and try FM reception. You can always cut it down in small lengths of a few inches if you want to experiment and maximize performance.

I don't have a cell phone. What would be a good gauge, though ? I don't want something that's way thicker than the original wire. I'll see if I can find a wire from something broken that I can use.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 9:38 pm 

Spottedfeather wrote:
What would be a good gauge, though ? I don't want something that's way thicker than the original wire.

Performance wise it makes no difference whatsoever AFA the gauge of the wire. You want stranded vs solid, for the flexibility, and just find as small a diameter length as you can.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 10:34 pm 

These have been a lot of good responses. The thing to remember, there is NOTHING about that antenna wire that is critical or even important. The size of wire, length (as long as it is a couple of feet or more), color, type (stranded versus solid), etc. are all relatively unimportant.

Any small gauge stranded wire is probably best (try local hardware store, auto stores, anywhere you can get some small gauge insulated wire). A piece can be soldered to what you have, or literally just stripped and twisted together metal-to-metal. You can insulate the splice with heat shrink sleeving or with a piece of tape or you can leave it bare if it is not going to get into something (I'd opt for at least a piece of tape).

This is no doubt an antenna intended to help with FM reception. The radio likely has an internal ferrite loopstick antenna that is being used for AM reception. So the only place you will notice any change in performance is tuned to an FM station.

You can even get pretty good reception by cutting the wire at the point where the insulation has been stripped off and wrapping the foot or so that remains around the power cord to "capacitively" use that as the FM antenna. Note: the metal wire of the antenna never touches the metal wire of the power cord. We're talking about insulated antenna wire spiral wrapped around insulated power cord.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 11:12 pm 

Eickerman wrote:
These have been a lot of good responses. The thing to remember, there is NOTHING about that antenna wire that is critical or even important. The size of wire, length (as long as it is a couple of feet or more), color, type (stranded versus solid), etc. are all relatively unimportant.

Any small gauge stranded wire is probably best (try local hardware store, auto stores, anywhere you can get some small gauge insulated wire). A piece can be soldered to what you have, or literally just stripped and twisted together metal-to-metal. You can insulate the splice with heat shrink sleeving or with a piece of tape or you can leave it bare if it is not going to get into something (I'd opt for at least a piece of tape).

This is no doubt an antenna intended to help with FM reception. The radio likely has an internal ferrite loopstick antenna that is being used for AM reception. So the only place you will notice any change in performance is tuned to an FM station.

You can even get pretty good reception by cutting the wire at the point where the insulation has been stripped off and wrapping the foot or so that remains around the power cord to "capacitively" use that as the FM antenna. Note: the metal wire of the antenna never touches the metal wire of the power cord. We're talking about insulated antenna wire spiral wrapped around insulated power cord.

Curtis Eickerman

How does wrapping the wire around the power cord work exactly ? And you mean the exterior part of the power cord that I plug in to an outlet ? Does it matter how close the antenna wire is wrapped together ?

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 11:35 pm 

Spottedfeather wrote:

How does wrapping the wire around the power cord work exactly ? And you mean the exterior part of the power cord that I plug in to an outlet ? Does it matter how close the antenna wire is wrapped together ?

The antenna will pickup RF from the house AC lines in this manner. I don't think the spacing of the turns would matter. You can always experiment by separating or compressing them to see if there's any improvement. Yes, the external part of the power cord going to the wall socket.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 11:58 pm 

fifties wrote:
Spottedfeather wrote:

The antenna will pickup RF from the house AC lines in this manner. I don't think the spacing of the turns would matter. You can always experiment by separating or compressing them to see if there's any improvement. Yes, the external part of the power cord going to the wall socket.

I'll definitely try this. Can't hurt, right ?

Oh...I think I might have an old loop antenna that came with an old receiver. It looks like this. Could I somehow connect this to the antenna wire ?

Attachments:
51u+MOHpoVL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
51u+MOHpoVL._AC_SL1000_.jpg [ 82.91 KiB | Viewed 890 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 8:46 am 

Spottedfeather wrote:

Oh...I think I might have an old loop antenna that came with an old receiver. It looks like this. Could I somehow connect this to the antenna wire ?

You can, to satisfy your curiosity, but it won't do any good. The wire is for FM. The loop is for AM ("and never the twain shall meet"). :wink:

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 3:53 pm 

Spottedfeather wrote:
What happens is that there is a "capacitive" connection between the antenna wire and the power cord. This means the two act like there is a very small capacitor between them. This capacitor, being very small in value, will conduct FM RF frequencies (88 MHz to 108 MHz) quite well, but does not conduct 60 Hz power voltages at all. As a result the power cord becomes an extension of that antenna wire without even being directly connected to it. Again there is nothing critical about this process of wrapping the antenna wire around the power cord.

In the olden days, shortly after the demise of the dinosaurs, there were a lot of radios where their FM antennas were actually a metal sleeve that clamped around the power cord to accomplish this same capacitive connection between the antenna and power cord so that they would have an antenna without that dangling wire.

In the WAY olden days, before the demise of the dinosaurs, there were actually devices sold so you could plug antennas into the power outlets and use your house wiring for an antenna. People would freak out about that these days.

Also sandwiched in there somewhere there were 3 wire power cords where the 3rd wire was not the "Neutral" but was actually an antenna wire that connected to the radio.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 8:15 pm 

Eickerman wrote:

In the WAY olden days, before the demise of the dinosaurs,

Did I ever tell you about the time I killed a baby Raptor with my loose leaf notebook, on the way to school? It was back in 1957 and I had missed the bus...

PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 10:43 pm 

fifties wrote:
Eickerman wrote:
In the WAY olden days, before the demise of the dinosaurs,
Did I ever tell you about the time I killed a baby Raptor with my loose leaf notebook, on the way to school? It was back in 1957 and I had missed the bus...
Is that sort of like walking back and forth to school in the snow, uphill, BOTH WAYS? :-)

Curtis Eickerman

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 21 posts ]  Moderators: Norm Leal, Marcc Go to page 1, 2  Next