Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sun 28, 2021 9:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: atwater kent 55c kiel table bottom sagging at speaker area
PostPosted: Sep Mon 06, 2021 5:21 pm 

Im not sure how to repair this yet but would like to get it fixed and install the radio. Im not quite sure if I should clamp it or reinforce it. The wood is springy and wont stay. its like the weight of the speaker has forced it downward. Im afraid the wood will crack if I clamp it but not sure. My guess is the speaker weight for years just warped the wood downwards. Somebodys tried to fix this I think as seen by the nails in this area.

Attachments:
Kiel table speaker wood warp.jpg
Kiel table speaker wood warp.jpg [ 613.07 KiB | Viewed 268 times ]
Kiel table speaker wood warp 2.jpg
Kiel table speaker wood warp 2.jpg [ 576.58 KiB | Viewed 267 times ]

Post subject: Re: atwater kent 55c kiel table bottom sagging at speaker ar
PostPosted: Sep Wed 08, 2021 12:01 pm 

Kiel used a 3/4 inch thick piece of solid hardwood for the chassis and speaker support shelf.
Being solid wood, it is subject to warping if not supported with other bracing and structure from the rest of the table.

On the one I had, it was glued and nailed to the curved plywood back section to the shelf exactly as yours is in an attempt to stabilize the shelf. This may have been the standard factory practice.

The table I worked on last winter had the same issue although to a much lessor degree than yours. I was able to clean up the joint and re-glue and clamp.

Last edited by processhead on Sep Wed 08, 2021 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 08, 2021 2:21 pm 

"L" brackets from the hardware store or make your own to fit. Fasten with machine screws. Wet the bent wood first, wait, wet again then clamp, install brackets. Let all dry in place before removing clamps. When completely dry wash with a sealer coat of shellac.

Felt can be found at Zoro tools, glue felt with contact cement. Use primer coat on felt as it will soak in.

The chassis is supposed to have a decorative cover over the tubes. If it is missing radio may oscillate.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 08, 2021 3:46 pm 

I made a new one from a piece of 1" hickory. It was easier than trying to make the warped original conform. If it is warped the controls will impact the front panel and a gap will appear under the door.