Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 05, 2021 11:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Capehart 4T213M Just Acquired
PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 12:33 am 

This is such a helpful forum I wanted opinions and any assistance/tips you could offer. You all gave me very good help with an old Hallicrafters set awhile ago. I just got this Capehart 4T213M in a trade. It has a centered non-warped and full picture, a hum through the audio and emitted no smoke, odors, shorting noises, etc. when my new collector friend insisted on plugging it in and showing me that it worked. It was on Ebay recently. There is a plastic cover over what I understand to be the picture tube yoke coil that is disintegrating and appears to just be a protective cover. May I wrap that coil neatly with electric tape or do i need to try to make a new plastic shield/cover? I've included pictures. This set is a monster and I am really hoping it is worth recapping and getting it back to 100%. The white shreds on the front edge of the cabinet are not damage; someone had placed this in a wall shelf long ago and had applied very old adhesive shelf paper or contact paper to it. I'm removing it and refinishing the cabinet to look exactly like it did. I understand Capeharts are nice old TV's.

Attachment:
NUHP9309.JPG
NUHP9309.JPG [ 567.84 KiB | Viewed 741 times ]

Attachment:
RZBD1559.JPG
RZBD1559.JPG [ 591.17 KiB | Viewed 741 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1147.JPG
IMG_1147.JPG [ 720.84 KiB | Viewed 741 times ]

Post subject: Re: Capehart 4T213M Just Acquired
PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 8:05 am 

The issue with the crumbling plastic on those yokes is VERY common. We had exactly the same issue in Australia too, even though the yokes were locally made.

Here's how I fixed one using a plastic food container and contact adhesive.

Attachment:
Yoke 1.JPG
Yoke 1.JPG [ 142.07 KiB | Viewed 705 times ]

Attachment:
Yoke 2.JPG
Yoke 2.JPG [ 155.89 KiB | Viewed 705 times ]

And the picture that resulted, driving my 110 degree test tube (it's a 90 degree yoke):

Attachment:
F4_screenshot.jpg
F4_screenshot.jpg [ 226.56 KiB | Viewed 705 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 3:25 am 

What a great solution! Thank you I'll do it tomorrow. Anyone know where I can get a schematic for it?

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 4:52 am 

There are some Capehart schematics listed here: http://www.earlytelevision.org/tv_schem ... l#capehart
They appear to be listed by chassis number. Chassis numbers are usually stamped on the back of the chassis.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 7:46 pm 

As for whether it's worth fixing check the CRT and flyback transformer. Both parts can be impossible to source for some sets and when you can get them they often cost as much as another set with those parts in good shape.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 11:49 pm 

Thank you as well for the schematic site link. This set played when I got it with a hum in the audio section, no full audio. I have since checked all of the tubes and found quite a few weak/bad tubes. There were no pops, cracks, sparks, smoke or odors when it was on for 5 minutes. Full picture with no dark lines, distortion or jumpy/rolling picture. I was surprised. Has anyone worked on one of these and if so what is your opinion of it or Capehart TV's in general? They seem to have a good reputation, but I am primarily a pre-WWII tube radio person. Not a lot of experience with which brands are worth fixing up.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 12:44 am 

Capehart was never a major player in TV, but they were well known for making quality products long before the advent of TV. The Capehart sets I've worked on (including some for customers who were still using those sets a decade later) seemed well built and worked as well as any of the major brands.

The main problem decades later is availability of proprietary parts like flybacks and yokes. While it's very unlikely they made those in their own factory, they probably did have them made by OEM sources to their own specifications which resulted in them being assigned Capehart part numbers. Therefore they may not readily cross reference to similar parts used by the bigger manufacturers.

If you want TV's that are easiest to restore and usually fairly easy to get parts for, look at Admiral, RCA, Zenith.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 16, 2021 11:41 pm 

I got my hands on a complete Photofact folder for the Capehart. All bad tubes I did not have showed up yesterday and today. Thanks for all of the previous input and I hope I may come back for help if needed. I'm sure I will need it!