Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sun 28, 2021 12:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Philips model R543 AM/FM console w/ phono & 8T, 1973-ish
PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 6:13 am 

About 10 years ago I inherited a Philips model R543 AM/FM console with turntable and 8-track player. There's a warranty card filled out by the vendor on 26 January 1974. It's missing 2 of the 4 tweeters, but otherwise it's clean and intact, however when plugged in tonight it wouldn't power on.

The console has been sitting under an old bedspread near my basement entryway for all of its time here, usefully covered with various piles of stuff for most of those 10 years. I remember initially trying to play a couple 8-track tapes and it promptly ate them, even after a cleaning, but otherwise everything used to work. Now I've uncovered it and am perplexed by it not powering up. I'll investigate that when I get some time.

What drew me to it today was that I'm considering pirating the turntable to swap into a friend's cheap Thomas faux-vintage AM-FM/phono/cassette combo from back in the what...90's? On the other hand, look what we're going through to try and restore our old radios from yesteryear--will I regret such action 15 years from now when these chunky anchors become wildly popular again. I already regret having pirated those tweeters for one of my kids' science projects! Sigh...I think I'll keep looking for a turntable.

I did a search for the model number and chassis (Weller 01075) but found nothing. There's a battered SS console in most thrift stores these days so perhaps these units are still being scorned and there's no interest in documenting them. Yet. I'll drop a photo or two when I get a chance.

Chuck

Post subject: Re: Philips model R543 AM/FM console w/ phono & 8T, 1973-ish
PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 6:19 am 

...that should read "Waller", not "Weller".

PostPosted: Sep Sat 18, 2021 4:29 am 

Some Philips gear is pretty decent. Let's see pics! Obvious first questions - plugged in? To a working outlet? Sitting in the same spot, maybe left for years plugged in to an outlet hidden behind it, who knows for sure without checking.

Next, try exercising the power switch. Sitting unused, controls tend to oxidize and get sticky. Or see if the turntable might turn the system on.

If it has a hum of any volume, best to not try it for very long, as capacitors may have failed, which can damage other parts if not taken care of.

I don't recognize the brand name/model "Waller." is that the turntable your friend needs or the one in your Philips?

BTW: You can edit your posts after submitting them. Look on the bottom right for Edit. I use that a lot myself! :)

PostPosted: Oct Fri 15, 2021 5:05 am 

Two thumbnails should appear below. The console shot is 900x600, the interior shot is 6000x4000 !
Attachment:
1CC_2379.JPG
1CC_2379.JPG [ 476.09 KiB | Viewed 157 times ]
Attachment:
1CC_2381sm.jpg
1CC_2381sm.jpg [ 185.19 KiB | Viewed 157 times ]

First, since my last post our local Sally Ann (aka Salvation Army store) must relocate and wanted to lower their inventory as much as possible so they put out all the electronics they hadn't had time to test yet. I found one of those USB phonographs with a built-in amp & speakers, but no stylus, for $10 so I nicked the stylus from that Thomas unit mentioned above and my friend is happy as a clam. The Thomas unit was passed on to a guy who only wants it for the radio. Everybody's happy.

As for the Philips console, my DVM said power was coming in but not getting to the pilot light. I checked the bulb and it was dead. Put in another and it died immediately. Before I spent my remaining bulb I did the math and found that at 110V the bulb was in spec but at 125V the current was too high. I added a small resistor and the bulb lights now...a minor consolation since nothing else works yet. :)

When examining the innards I saw some cutoff wires and then remembered I had also pirated the stereo headphones jack. Searching my junkbox I found that original jack with wires still attached which made restoring it a breeze.

More examination gave me a better understanding of how it's all supposed to work, but I haven't had any time for it lately. One of these days I'll see how far the AC is getting in, like to the phono or 8-track, and see if there's any DC roaming about. I could inject some audio at the output but more than that is uncharted territory for me.

Cheers,
Chuck