Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 01, 2021 7:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Loctal-8 tube question
PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 12:52 am 

My basic query of the week, using as an example, a 7A8 tube, in which stem is not phenolic, yet under chassis there are connections to it. Is it a negative or does the stem play an actual active part in the scheme of things?

Attachments:
tubestem.jpg
tubestem.jpg [ 469.61 KiB | Viewed 235 times ]

Post subject: Re: Loctal-8 tube question
PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 1:55 am 

The metal base of the Loctal tubes acts as a shield and a connection for an additional shield if needed. The base is usually connected to the radio chassis.

Jay

Post subject: Re: Loctal-8 tube question
PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 10:28 pm 

I noticed this on some of the radios I work on. The ones where B- does not go to the chassis, They tie them together and then to the chassis. Only on the RF/IF tubes. The Detector and Output tubes have no wires connected to that tab. So it must be for shielding as Jay said. Some of the 7 pin fiber sockets have those center tabs and you will find them also all tied together and grounded to the chassis. They look like a little rivet yet the tubes are all glass. Seems like a lot of extra work for the assembly line. The engineers are a lot smarter then I for sure, so there must be a good reason.

Freeman