Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 05, 2021 12:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Stromberg-Carlson 231R Chairside Mirror Top Reproduction
PostPosted: Jun Fri 04, 2021 11:33 pm 

Hello Everyone,

I am currently making a batch of reproduction mirror tops for the Stromberg-Carlson 231R. I thought some of you might be interested in hearing about it.

I ordered several sheets of annealed glass cut to size and of the correct thickness. I carefully measured the design from a 231R with the original top and redrew them on the back of a vinyl adhesive material. I was then able to cut out the pattern, tape it back together and transfer it onto the glass.

The glass was then protected on the back surface as well and then sandblasted. I carved into the glass a little deeply to match the original more closely. I then carefully rinsed it, removed the adhesive and rinsed again. Here is the current status.

I did some research and found a patent for making such dark, anti-glare, blue/gray mirrors from 1935, exactly like the kind used in this radio. I plan to follow this procedure exactly to finish the pieces as they were originally made.

I know there is one person on the forum who recently asked for one. I also need one for myself. I am wondering how much demand there is for these glass pieces and how many I should make. It is not that much more work to make a larger batch of them, once I have set up the process and know how to do it, but I don't want to make more than are needed.

Last edited by Gold Dial on Jun Fri 18, 2021 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Stromberg-Carlson 231R Chairside Mirror Top Reproduction
PostPosted: Jun Sun 06, 2021 8:43 am 

I think that Bob Andersen was also looking for one, if he still has his 231R, his was also missing the wood frame that goes around the glass I think.
The question would be is there any advantage in making a batch of these verses making them to order, lets say in cost? You know if you get this technique down
there should be a market in making replacement glass parts for Sparton mirror sets, those get chipped, cracked, and often have the silvering go bad, though I think resilvering the original glass should be possible
Regards
Arran

PostPosted: Jun Sun 06, 2021 4:06 pm 

I think I'll test the market with these Stromberg-Carlson tops and see how much demand there is for such things. I believe the Sparton radios use cobalt glass and are thus different from the Stromberg radios.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 06, 2021 10:35 pm 

Wonderful work! I used the same process to reproduce the door glass art for a RCA Photophone 1040 35mm film projector reproducer. I had to outsource work for mine, as I did not have the needed resources to do the work myself. But the original was photographed, imported into cad, scaled to size and the artwork was traced over the imported photo. I am interested in knowing how the multi-color screen printing was accomplished for dial faces, such as the RCA 816K.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 18, 2021 5:44 pm 

I've finished the mirrors. The mirror shown above in the frame is the original; the mirror on the bottom is one I made. As you can see, they look exactly the same in a variety of different lighting conditions--ranging from a bright, glowing blue in direct sunlight to a deep, dark almost black color, like that when looking into the water late at night, when placed under normal indoor lighting. I followed the original patent exactly, so the results look identical.

Here are some photos of the process:

PostPosted: Jul Mon 26, 2021 5:22 pm 

I just finished a batch of walnut frames to go with the mirrors.

If interested in buying a mirror, please include email in the PM. Someone tried contacting me recently and can’t access the PM sent in response..

PostPosted: Aug Thu 26, 2021 1:19 am 

I finally finished the cabinet for my Stromberg-Carlson 231R. I had to make reproductions of many major parts of the cabinet, including the mirror, the mirror frame, the chassis support, and the back cover panel, as I bought the radio in pieces. A year or two ago, I purchased a large quantity of rough looking Stromberg-Carlson console radios, parts chassis, and speakers. This included the carcass of a Stromberg-Carlson 231R, missing everything but the grille cloth, but otherwise in good shape. I discovered that the lot of parts also included two Stromberg-Carlson 231R chassis and several extra speakers of the type used in this model. I was able to find a complete set of knobs for it on eBay and have had to replicate everything else. The cabinet is now done and the chassis is almost ready to be installed.

I also made a few extra walnut frames and several more spare mirrors as I know these are sometimes damaged or missing. I also made one extra back panel (3/8" baltic birch plywood, veneered with walnut on one side and stained and lacquered to match), in case anyone needs one.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 27, 2021 3:22 am 

Hi, I might need the back panel as mine has damaged veneer at the bottom. More importantly, as you may remember, My wood panel
where the controls pass through has been butchered and I was wondering if a piece could be made with the correct spacing that I could epoxy
on top or replace somehow without disturbing the rest of the radio. The original finish is salvageable in my opinion as all the wood is there except a few
areas of veneer on the back panel.

My email is : garykuster@yahoo.com

Attachments:
SC1.jpg
SC1.jpg [ 532.05 KiB | Viewed 1028 times ]
SC2.jpg
SC2.jpg [ 605.72 KiB | Viewed 1028 times ]

Semper ubi sub ubi

PostPosted: Aug Mon 30, 2021 5:23 pm 

You will need to remove the current radio, patch the opening with plywood and epoxy, drill new holes into it, remove the mirror and perhaps also the corner blocks and then reveneer the control panel. This will probably require some of the surrounding veneer to be stripped off. That veneer could then be used to patch the back panel. The back panel and control panel could be refinished and the rest could be kept original. Also, don’t forget to buy some decals for it. That’s how I’d go about restoring it.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 30, 2021 10:44 pm 

Thanks for the tips. I don't want to mess it up. Now that I see the new decals in place, I know what control snapped off! It's the far right one that looks like
it's On/Off Tone which should be the same as a on/off vol ? as long as the specs match. I don't know what was removed inside to retrofit the later stereo. hopefully
the mounting points still exist for the original chassis.

Semper ubi sub ubi

PostPosted: Oct Mon 18, 2021 10:35 pm 

Hello, I am dealing with a fellow on a 231R. I may need a replacement top and replacement lettering. Does anyone know the weight of a 231R?
Thanks,
Brian

PostPosted: Oct Mon 18, 2021 10:55 pm 

I don't know the weight but it is heavy for a radio cabinet as it is very well built and they used solid walnut for all of the trim, including the louvers.

If you would like to buy a pain, send me a PM or see the ones I posted on eBay.

Very good replacement decals are also available for this model from reproduction graphics.