Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 09, 2022 1:24 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: For the Guys in the Television forum
PostPosted: Dec Thu 16, 2021 3:12 am 

:| I have, like most Boomers, had a love affair with television, the real life crystal ball, since the days of "The Alfred Hitchcock Hour", "Have Gun, Will Travel", and "Outer Limits", where this aong may have come from.

:D
"Upon release as a single, "TVC 15" peaked at number 33 on the UK Singles Chart and number 64 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. Its release coincided with the European leg of the Isolar tour. Initial reviews praised the song as one of the album's highlights, along some reviewers found the lyrics difficult to comprehend."

"Described by multiple commentators as a "surreal comedy",[17][14][18] the song concerns a character's girlfriend being eaten by a television set.[a] The narrator mourns her ("My baby's in there someplace") and is left staring at the TVC 15; he knows the only way he and his girlfriend will reunite is if he ventures into the set.[2][13] The subject matter was inspired by a dream of Iggy Pop's featuring a similar premise, as well as a scene in The Man Who Fell to Earth in which Bowie's character, Thomas Jerome Newton, fills a room with television screens, each tuned to a different channel.[14] The song also contains religious themes, which are prevalent on numerous Station to Station tracks.[19][20] Writing for the Spin Alternative Record Guide, Rob Sheffield interpreted "TVC 15" as "Major Tom appear[ing] as a woman who beams herself to a satellite, leaving poor David stranded on earth."[21]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVC_15

I didn't really appreciate this song until I heard it with my 3rd eye opened.

https://youtu.be/JQPJgu75I7c

Post subject: Re: For the Guys in the Television forum
PostPosted: Dec Thu 16, 2021 6:43 am 

You must be new around these parts.
The guys in the Antique Television Discussions forum do not communicate outside of that forum.
And you thought collecting and restoring old radios was a weird hobby. lol

Greg.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 16, 2021 1:16 pm 

egg wrote:
The guys in the Antique Television Discussions forum do not communicate outside of that forum.

Greg.

Of course they don't communicate outside that forum!

Television evolved from radar, and they hold all the secrets hidden in the dusty archives of the old sets, there in plain sight but inaccessible to the uninitiated, mere mortals such as ourselves.

It is my understanding they have a top secret usergroup here, which they use specially modified Heathkit sets to teleport in and out of.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 13, 2022 5:44 pm 

I'm one of those TV guys, but I also like radio and audio gear; was a bench and field technician on them for ten years, not counting time spent working on my own, starting at age 14. Business was good in the 70s, but I bailed out in 1985, when I saw that it was going downhill. Looking back, I should have done it sooner!

PostPosted: Jan Thu 13, 2022 9:45 pm 

Tim Tress wrote:
I'm one of those TV guys, but I also like radio and audio gear; was a bench and field technician on them for ten years, not counting time spent working on my own, starting at age 14. Business was good in the 70s, but I bailed out in 1985, when I saw that it was going downhill. Looking back, I should have done it sooner!

My hat is off to you!

I still remember a day when the t.v. repairman made house calls, in fact, I own a vintage t.v. repairman's tube/tool box!

If you understand and can repair televisions, most likely you can repair radios blindfolded.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 28, 2022 11:16 pm 

egg wrote:

Greg.

Hey, hey, wait a minute! Some of us TV guys are not like that. But, look at my signature... (-:

PostPosted: Jan Sat 29, 2022 12:57 am 

ChrisW6ATV wrote:
egg wrote:

Greg.

Hey, hey, wait a minute! Some of us TV guys are not like that. But, look at my signature... (-:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: