Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Mon 08, 2022 10:12 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Speakers that probably no one wants
PostPosted: Jun Wed 22, 2022 10:37 pm 

Bruce88 wrote:
This sort of reminds me of a multi store distributor in West Virgina that was purchased by an accountant back in the late 1960's. One of the first things he did was to look at item sales and get rid of ally items of limited volume. This successful operation failed in a short time. Seems customers came to buy products from the previous owner because he had everything. Does this apply here?

Hardly. But thanks for the kind words.

Speaking of 'volume' ... there are 5 FIVE 5.000 full pallets of speakers, which so far, no one wants. Ok, in truth, over the past year I have been asked about exactly two. I took several dozen to one of the Estes auction, and there were NO, zero, none bidders for them. I had the auctioneer sell the entire table and I got $5 for it. So, as far as "volume" ... there is a lot of space being occupied for, apparently, absolutely zero interest.

Lets you are suggesting I save them for the occasional sale, they are ALL for sale in the classifieds and you are certainly welcome to put in an OBO offer for all of them ;-)

And, btw, there is really no 'success or failure' of this venture. My efforts were to save as much as possible. While I'd hoped to do a similar business model as the former PTOP, that turned out to be impossible, since there was only one Gary Schneider and I'm not it.

Sooooo.... there you have it, with regard to the speakers.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 23, 2022 12:36 pm 

Barry,

I applaud your efforts, but there's only so much you can do
to save Gary's hoard. You're right. Gary was a unique and
knowledgeable individual who knew this stuff inside and
out, had his own system, and did it for 50+ years. Losing
him was a.huge blow to the antique radio community.

Now, when you took this on, you had no idea the health
problem would occur, nor the health restrictions, and lack of help. How many clubs or helpers stepped up after the restrictions were lifted? Not to be critical, but several
individuals are looking for one part and you have 100.
Can you sit on 99 for God knows when? This would be a
venture for a young guy (maybe 30's) who could get into
it,sit on it for 50 yrs, and then retire.

As much as we bemoan the passing of Gary, it just doesn't seem possible to preserve his hoard with the amount of work required, the low returns, and the low demand for the
items. not to mention the sheer space requirements for
the stock.

I've seen his store and to be honest, was completely overwhelmed. So I have first hand knowledge of what you encountered. Gary was a good friend of mine.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 23, 2022 12:56 pm 

Have you considered reaching out to bagheracat on eBay and working out a deal for him to buy these lots, if they are interested? I know quite a few on here don't like this fellow since he makes a living parting out radios. As much as I don't care for the parting out of radios, he does make the parts available in a store and puts in all of the time and effort to list them.

https://www.ebay.com/str/filmandrecordg ... media=COPY

PostPosted: Jun Sun 26, 2022 5:55 pm 

Can the pallets be divided into slightly smaller piles? It might be easier to sell the hoard in chunks than all at once.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 26, 2022 10:38 pm 

tym wrote:
Can the pallets be divided into slightly smaller piles? It might be easier to sell the hoard in chunks than all at once.

Yes, they can, but then, as now, there'd be no way to tell what specific speakers were on each pallet. I may just have to bite the bullet here and do a photo inventory, or at least a partial one, and give it one last try with that info available to all the interested parties. But it's moved a bit to the back burner due to other more immediate concerns for now.....