Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Wed 27, 2020 1:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for M22 Philco turntable info
PostPosted: Dec Sun 14, 2008 2:02 am 

I’m beginning to work on my Philco 51-1330 next week and will need to get into the turntable once I get the radio restored. This is one mom got for me the Christmas of my 13th birthday back in the early 50's.
I've been told that the turntable is an M22? Is there service literature available for those turntables?? Has anyone restored one of them?? Are there cartridges available that will fit the them??

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sun 14, 2008 2:11 am 

Denny,

I have the Philco service manual for the M-22. I scanned it and emailed you the link so you can download it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Mon 15, 2008 5:19 pm 

Hi Steve, sorry I didn't get back to you right away, I've had a bunch on my plate the last week or so and can't get to all of it on time.
Yes I got your email last night and printed out a copy this morning, a great scan, extremely clear graphics, thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.
I spent the day over at your house a couple of weeks ago, and once again, a great site and thanks for sharing all that with us. I'm not an avid collector of Supreme but I do like their equipment and pick them up when ever the price is right.
Thanks again for the Philco scan.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Mon 15, 2008 6:45 pm 

Now the Cartridge question:
The original cartridge was the toggle type with a dual needle, for 78 or 45/33 1/3. It is listed in the M-22 manual as a 76-4649. In a later 1959 Philco catalog that I have it becomes a 325-8024. Since I'm not a phono guy and this is the first one that I've looked into, I have no idea what kind of cartridge that is, i.e. crystal, ceramic, magnetic??? Does anyone know the type??

And the dual Needle:
Original was 45-9588 synthetic both or 45-9589 diamond both. In the '59 catalog it is replaced by a 325-8176 osmium/osmium, 325-8177 synthetic/synthetic, 325-8178 synthetic/diamond or 325-8230 diamond/diamond.
Cross-reference numbers for the needles are:
Columbia: P-2TPA, P-2TPS, P-2SD, RC-1S
Duotone: 525, 553, 509
Jensen: PH- 12, PH-13, M-70
Pfanstiehl: P-2693, P2693J, P2693DS
Walco: W-46TPA, W-46TPS, W-46DS, W-42S
So if any one body gots any of these laying round on the shelf or know where I might find one, please let me know.
Thanks
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Mon 15, 2008 6:58 pm 

If your cartrdge is still good, there are needles on ebay.
390004717117 & 260308521761
They're both diamond / sapphire.

I don't know weather the Philco tilt cartridge is crystal or ceramic, it's not magnetic.

Ken D.

Last edited by Ken Doyle on Dec Mon 15, 2008 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Mon 15, 2008 10:42 pm 

Thanks Ken, bought both, hope they fit.
Now all I need is a spare cartridge, don't know if the ones in the sets I have are good since I haven't started on the restoration yet.
I got one project on the bench that needs to get finished up first.
Tks again,
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Thu 18, 2008 4:13 am 

Well I finally found out from the manual that the cartridge is a crystal cartridge. So I suppose that 55 years later it probably won't be worth a durn. I still haven't had a chance to get it up on the bench, looks like I'm not gonna get I wanted to funished up by Christmas. Oh well, it's a long winter and looks like I'll just have to readjust my schecule.
Now, is it possible to replace these Philco tilt cartridges with a more modern one?
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sat 27, 2008 3:09 am 

I have one of these with the Philco tilt cartridge. Original cartridge was dead, but I picked up a NOS off the internet, and it works great. However, these don't come up often (at a reasonable price). Needles are easy to get. Info that I have indicates that it's crystal.

Mine is in a Philco m-25 turntable, which is nearly identical, except that after the last record, the arm goes to it's resting spot, rather than repeating the last record. This was used in hifi models that came out in the mid fifties - to about '56 or '57, then Philco stopped making their own, I believe.

One difficulty might be the tiny belt that drives the secondary spindle that is used for 33 speed (78 and 45 speed drive the idler wheel directly from the motor spindle, while 33 uses this additional spindle driven by the belt from the motor spindle). If this belt is bad (likely), they can be found through belt suppliers.

Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sat 27, 2008 3:47 pm 

Thanks Craig, I had big plans on getting the unit up on the bench over the holidays but my "big old wife" had other plans. So maybe after the New Year I can get into it, but it's the next project.
Yep, got three NOS diamond needles for them but still haven't found cartridges. I think I asked before if Westech could rebuild this type, but apparently no one has tried to get one rebuilt. I suppose I should just drop them a line and see what they say.
I was hoping that by this time they had tended away from the Rochelle salt crystals and maybe been using the Ceramic crystals such as the Barium titanate crystals or quartz.
By finding your cartridge on the Internet do you mean ebay???

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sat 27, 2008 8:32 pm 

Denny,

I don't believe it was ebay. I seem to remember putting something like "Philco tilt cartridge" in a browser and seeing what came up.

Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Dec Sun 28, 2008 12:35 am 

tks, the search goes on.
DG

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Aug Tue 23, 2016 2:31 am 

Steve Johnson wrote:
Denny,

I have the Philco service manual for the M-22. I scanned it and emailed you the link so you can download it.

Hey Steve,

Any chance you still have a scan of the service manual for the M-22?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Aug Tue 23, 2016 6:33 am 

Warning_High_Voltage wrote:
Steve Johnson wrote:
Denny,

Hey Steve,

Any chance you still have a scan of the service manual for the M-22?

Thanks!

I just bought one off eBay. I can scan it for you. PM me with your email.