Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 19, 2019 6:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Swan 500 help.....
PostPosted: Apr Thu 16, 2009 2:52 pm 

Yesterday I picked up a Swan 500 ( not the C or CX) with it's PS with a few issues I'd like to pass by you guys.....
Tested all tubes with good results, cleaned all rotary switches and all dust, washed out all pots to start.

With a dummy load, I loaded up the xmitter on all 5 bands with good results. Meter was working and indicating.

On receive, all bands checked out fine but I had no sig strength meter indication nor was my volume control operating ( No response turning the knob one way or the other). The RF control worked fine.
BAMA has the prints on there but they're pretty tuff to read. It looks, from the prints, that there is a relay involved with switching the meter from xmit to rcve.
My thought about this is the contacts need to be burnished. I think that may be a start.
The volume control is another matter....

Ruminations welcome...

Tnx...
...Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Thu 16, 2009 3:23 pm 

My best and only suggestion:

DUMP IT FAST.

At least there is a contingent of Swan lovers who pay good money for junk so you should come out with a profit. :lol:

I worked on a lot of Swans when moonlighting for a retail shop and the early releases of most all models had problems, not the least of which was drift and rapidly soft finals.

What happened to the TR-4? Thats something worth using.

Carl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Thu 16, 2009 3:37 pm 

Yes, clean the relay contacts. I saturate a paper strip with cleaner and work it back and forth between the contacts. I had the same problem with my 700CX. Burnishing might remove the precious metal from the contact surface.

BTW my 700CX has very little drift.

Avoid long tuning. You will ruin the finals.

A Swan Compendium is available for a small donation to charity.
Text of email I received follows.

Quote:
Hello Terry,

The Swan Compendium remains available on CD ROM in PDF format from which you may print a hard copy if you wish. It is Rev 4.0, October 24, 2005 and requires Adobe 5.0 or higher to read. A Table of Contents is available at:

http://mysite.verizon.net/bandc44/SWAN%20Tube%20Transceiver.htm

The family of Bob Balonis will continue to make this edition of his Compendium available. In keeping with his established procedure, the Compendium is distributed in acknowledgement of a donation of $25 or more made payable to the Society of St. Vincent de Paul, OLV. This is a local all volunteer SVdP conference which provides financial assistance to those in need regardless of religion, race or ethnicity. Although its service area is primarily Centre County, PA, it also provides financial assistance well beyond that geographic area including internationally. This group has no paid staff and minimal overhead necessary to operate its thrift store. It is one of the very few truly "non-profit" groups that Bob respected, admired and actively supported.

If you are still interested, you may send your check made payable to the Society of St. Vincent de Paul/OLV to : Chris Balonis, 525 McCormick Ave, State College, PA 16801.

Last edited by Terry Judkins on Apr Thu 16, 2009 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Thu 16, 2009 4:11 pm 

I used a 500 for years. Radio worked fine. Changed the sweep tubes from time to time and it just kept running. I don't recall any drift problems with it. Much more stable than some of the Heathkit stuff I used. I used it mobile too. The earlier radios had bad reputations (350 for example).

Don't recall any problems with the volume or meter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Thu 16, 2009 6:05 pm 

I had a couple of 500's , they only drift during warm up, after 20 min or so they are solid. These are a good reliable unit.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Thu 16, 2009 6:14 pm 
Silent Key

I knew a ham who had a 500CX and it was never turned off. The only time it was powered down was when the local power went out, which was not very often. Rock steady was that rig. It was a far cry from the earlier 350 that never seemed to settle down in its self exploration of the bands.
Curt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Thu 16, 2009 6:50 pm 

Was able to work with a copy I got from a friend and found out that a 1 mfd @50 VDC ecap was causing the problem with the meter on rcve. Replaced that ecap and the meter came to life.

My problem with the RF gain may be in the agc circuit. One cap in particular (C 901) on V9. Maybe shorted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Thu 16, 2009 6:55 pm 
Silent Key

A rig of this vintage is bound to have a bunch of leaky capacitors in it. Best to simply go thru all the caps and do a major recapping job. Just be awfull careful with lead dress and component placement of the new caps.
Curt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Fri 17, 2009 7:05 pm 

Jim

I got a Swan 350 this winter. It basically worked but did a number of weird things, like a pop noise when you turned the RF gain all the way up or tuned to a very strong signal. I replaced all the e caps and the "paper" caps( not too many of those..who knows if they were actually paper but unless they were discs I replaced them) in the transceiver and all the weird behavior went away.

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Fri 17, 2009 10:57 pm 

"A rig of this vintage is bound to have a bunch of leaky capacitors in it."......

There are maybe a dozen small caps to be recon'd with Curt, but the rest are ceramic discs. There's also some Mallory small value E-caps in there...one I replaced and it brought the meter back to life. So yeah, some recapping is definately in this rigs future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Mon 20, 2009 7:03 am 

I was on the air with a 350 I fixed up a few years ago, it put out a lot of power.

A knowledgeable local ham I was working brought me up to date on some of the Swan lore when he called it the "Swan Three Drifty."

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Mon 20, 2009 7:41 am 

Hello Jim,
I to have a swan but I have not done anything to it since I picked up
Sincerely Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Mon 27, 2009 10:21 pm 

Unless if someone here may be interested in it, I guess it's gonna go on ebay.

Too many irons ready to strike to worry about this.