Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 19, 2021 2:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New toy (ok so its not a radio)
PostPosted: May Wed 18, 2011 1:27 am 

A 1974 Snapper stamped aluminum deck push mower with 3.5 hp briggs engine.

I have the shroud off as I have just finished with engine brite and a pressure washing.

After drying it started on the 4th pull

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Wed 18, 2011 2:33 am 

Hello simplex,
yes snapper made good mowers .
Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Wed 18, 2011 3:00 am 

Nice. The deck won't rust out for sure. I like the full axles front and back too. Did you find it curbside?

Just finished a transaxle (Peerless) rebuild on my JD riding mower. A bit daunting but so far, so good. $50 total cost vs. $1000+ for a new mower. About as complicated as a SP600 front end. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Wed 18, 2011 3:45 am 

Bought it at an auction for $17

Got gas powered leaf blower for $7

a craftsman vice for $12

a 3 lb ball pein hammer for $2

post hole diggers for $2

a nice heavy wooden yard trailer ( to pull behind the snapper RER) $10

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Wed 18, 2011 9:04 am 

I paid $20 for a Craftsman Compact 7 garden tractor with mower attachment and front blade. Mow my mountainside, rocky yard with it, and move piles around with the blade. Still runs and works hard, but it's pretty much worn out and blows oil from the crankcase due to bad rings or valves.

-Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Wed 18, 2011 4:46 pm 

I still have that exact mower...somewhere covered with weeds. Die-cast base with streamlining to really shoot the grass out if used without that stupid side mount catcher. The weight would let one side sink in the grass more and scalp half of the cut path.

I haven't used it in ten years since we have a gardener. I must say our grass was fuller and greener when I did the lawns without the catcher because I let the grass decompose and "feed" the lawn naturally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Thu 19, 2011 4:03 pm 

I found at curbside about 3 years ago a self propelled version Snapper with bag from 1980. Deck is steel and the 4hp Briggs engine smokes a lot.. I think it still has a few years left in it. I don't plan to rebuild the engine.
Marty

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Thu 19, 2011 9:13 pm 

You may find this of some interest if you like earlier power mowers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmsXZ7l1 ... re=related

or:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk6bStXtvPE

or:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS3vXMXt ... re=related

Just thought these were interesting to watch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Thu 19, 2011 9:55 pm 

I had an aluminum deck Honda self propelled, rear bag, OHV engine... I sold it when I moved and kicking my self for doing that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Thu 19, 2011 10:15 pm 

I have a POS franken mower that's made from 3 broken ones.I think that at the end of this summer me and the guys are going to take it up to my uncles farm and introduce it to the 12 guage. :twisted:

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Thu 19, 2011 11:03 pm 

Mowed some yard with it today after putting a new air cleaner on it ( I think it had the 1974 one on. Thing cuts good. I need to swap wheels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Thu 19, 2011 11:19 pm 

Can,t remember the manufacturers name but i had a lawn mower that had a disc with 4 small blades. That thing could really cut . Also it would idle so slow and smooth. You could almost count the revolutions of the motor
Stan Ski

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Fri 20, 2011 1:29 am 

Freecycle forever!!!

Last year I picked up a rusted McLean reel mower that had sat unused for about 10 years. It has a standard Briggs-Stratton motor

Fortunately the gas tank was intact but all the carburetor linkage rods and springs and the muffler were rusted beyond repair.

Changed the oil, cleaned and rebuilt the carb and fuel pump, flushed the crankcase with kerosene and drained well. Replaced the rusted linkages and muffler and added a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil to the cylinder.

Filled the crankcase with Marvel Mystery Oil, put gas in the tank and pulled the cord... it ran!

Let it idle for about 20 minutes, drained the Mystery Oil and put in clean 30 Wt...

Have been using it regularly since. I have Bermuda grass and it doesn't like a rotary mower, makes a mess if it. This one leaves it looking like a golf green...

And , oh, yeah, still running on its ORIGINAL spark plug, you can see the red overspray on it <G>

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Fri 20, 2011 1:56 am 

That's a nice mower you've got there...a reminder of when things weren't throw-away.

Briggs used to make a great engine before the advent of having everything automatic (auto choke, auto throttle, etc.). That stuff works great for like two years, then it causes problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Fri 20, 2011 3:28 am 

Stan Ski wrote:
Can,t remember the manufacturers name but i had a lawn mower that had a disc with 4 small blades. That thing could really cut . Also it would idle so slow and smooth. You could almost count the revolutions of the motor
Stan Ski

that would be a jacobsen mower i have a older early 70's model with that mounted on a aluminum deck with a 3hp briggs

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Fri 20, 2011 3:46 am 

I'd love the find an aluminum deck 1969 or 1970 Toro Whirlwind 21" self-propelled with the "auto oiler" and electric start. It also has an S-shaped blade, exhaust below the deck, and port for a garden hose to wash it (a feature I see reappearing on some new mowers).

After my father died in 1969, my mother bought one and we used it on the lawn and some fields on her five acre property before the St. Louis County highway department stole (yes, I mean that word) the property in 1970, then on the 3/4 acre property she bought until she sold it in 1984.

The steel pins on the wheel adjusters wore the corresponding holes in the aluminum deck, so they should have used a steel insert in the deck. The tube steel handle also wore around the steel pins to lock it open, so that could have been reinforced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Fri 20, 2011 4:39 am 

GuitarGuyNack wrote:
I have a POS franken mower that's made from 3 broken ones.I think that at the end of this summer me and the guys are going to take it up to my uncles farm and introduce it to the 12 guage. :twisted:

Nick

Right now there are a bunch of guys posting about this over at the Antique Mower Forum. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May Fri 20, 2011 5:02 pm 

kc2oso wrote:
GuitarGuyNack wrote:

Nick

Right now there are a bunch of guys posting about this over at the Antique Mower Forum. :wink:

Whats the web address for it.I want to see all the bad things that are probably being said about me.HAHA :lol:

Nick